The hallmark of South Carolina’s private non-profit colleges and universities is the emphasis on individualized learning and student achievement. This can only be accomplished by a faculty of the highest quality working in a supportive environment that encourages and fosters serious inquiry, critical thinking, and a broader understanding of the world in which we live.
Each year, SCICU recognizes and celebrates the best of the best with its Excellence in Teaching Awards. A faculty member from each of SCICU’s twenty member institutions is nominated for the award according to rigorous guidelines. The award recipients are honored at a special dinner in April and are each awarded a $3,000 professional development grant.
2016 marks the 11th year that SCICU has honored the Best of the Best at its twenty member colleges and universities. This group of teacher-scholars represents many different academic disciplines and brings a rich diversity of education, experience, and interests to our campuses.
There are common threads, however, that weave their way through this distinguished group of academicians. First and foremost, they are educators who come to our liberal arts institutions to work one-on-one with students whom they also serve as advisers, mentors, and friends. They are dedicated and committed professionals who work long and hard to be the best in their particular academic disciple in order to instruct and guide future generations as their life’s work. These professionals are value-centered, passionate, creative, and caring.
SCICU is pleased and proud to recognize the following individuals with Excellence in Teaching Awards for 2016:.
- Allen University – Dr. Tomohiro Kawaguchi
- Anderson University – Dr. Tammy Haislip
- Benedict College – Dr. Nuria Rojas
- Charleston Southern University – Professor Alan R. Fix
- Claflin University – Professor Annette Dees Grevious
- Coker College – Dr. Cathleen Cuppett
- Columbia College – Dr. Marlee B. Marsh
- Columbia International University – Dr. David G. Cashin
- Converse College – Professor Ruth Beals
- Erskine College – Dr. Naoma S. Nelsen
- Furman University – Dr. Kevin Richmond Hutson
- Limestone College – Dr. David B. Thompson
- Morris College – Dr. Jacob E. Butler, Jr.
- Newberry College – Dr. Bret Clark
- North Greenville University – Dr. Becky L. Thompson
- Presbyterian College – Dr. Robert A. Bryant
- Southern Wesleyan University – Professor Emily Germain
- Spartanburg Methodist College – Professor Mark Holycross
- Voorhees College – Professor Gayle Tyler-Stukes
- Wofford College – Dr. Peter L. Schmunk
A photo gallery of all award recipients may be viewed here.
The support from generous sponsors helps make the annual Excellence in Teaching Awards program possible. SCICU gratefully acknowledges the following sponsors for their support of the Excellence in Teaching Awards Dinner for 2016:
- ABM Solutions
- Aramark Higher Education
- SC Student Loan Corporation
- TD Bank
- Total Comfort Solutions
- Vulcan Materials Company