- Your top message – If you only have a matter of seconds (meeting your legislator in passing): “My name is _______, and I go to (name of college or university). Thank you for my Tuition Grant! It makes it possible for me to attend the independent South Carolina college/university of my choice.”
- Thank your legislators for the need-based SC Tuition Grants Program and the $10 million increase last year.
- Point out that a SC Tuition Grant allows you to attend the independent college of your choice and makes it more affordable for you and nearly 12,000 other South Carolina residents. TELL LEGISLATORS YOUR STORIES!
- Thank both House and Senate members for their support of retaining the $10 million increase from last year.
- Thank your legislators for any other state scholarship you receive (Palmetto Fellows, LIFE, HOPE, or Lottery Tuition Assistance).
- Let them know it’s exciting to be joined today by students from the public universities.
SC Tuition Grant Program Facts
- The SC Tuition Grants Program was created in 1970 and provides need-based grants to eligible SC residents attending in-state, independent colleges on a full-time basis.
- Maximum Tuition Grant for 2021-22 is $4,390.
- SC Tuition Grants are made to individual students, not the colleges.
- SC Tuition Grants can only be used toward tuition and fee charges, and are contingent on satisfactory academic progress.
General SC Independent Higher Education Facts
- SCICU’s 21 member schools enroll over 35,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
- About 67% of students enrolled at SCICU member schools are South Carolina residents and 45% are minorities.
- Independent Higher Education students account for nearly one-quarter (23%) of the bachelor’s degrees awarded in SC.