SCICU congratulates the 2020 Excellence in Teaching Award recipients
The hallmark of South Carolina’s private non-profit colleges and universities is the emphasis on individualized learning and student achievement. This can only be accomplished by faculties of the highest quality working in a supportive environment that encourages and fosters serious inquiry, critical thinking, and a broader understanding of the world in which we live.
Each year, SCICU recognizes and celebrates the best of the best with its Excellence in Teaching Awards. A faculty member from each of SCICU’s twenty member institutions is nominated for the award according to rigorous guidelines. Each year award recipients are honored at a special dinner in April and are each awarded a $3,000 professional development grant. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Excellence In Teaching awards dinner was cancelled. Framed award certificates and the professional development grant checks were mailed to the college/university presidents.
2020 marks the 15th year that SCICU has honored leading faculty members at its twenty member colleges and universities. This group of teacher-scholars represents many different academic disciplines and brings a rich diversity of education, experience, and interests to our campuses.
There are common threads, however, that weave their way through this distinguished group of academicians. First and foremost, they are educators who come to our liberal arts institutions to work one-on-one with students whom they also serve as advisers, mentors, and friends. They are dedicated and committed professionals who work long and hard to be the best in their particular academic disciple in order to instruct and guide future generations as their life’s work. These professionals are value-centered, passionate, creative, and caring.
SCICU is pleased and proud to recognize the following individuals with Excellence in Teaching Awards for 2020:
- Allen University – Dr. Michael Lane
- Anderson University – Dr. Paige Ellisor-Catoe
- Benedict College – Ms. Ruby Blair
- Charleston Southern University – Dr. Mela Wyeth
- Claflin University – Dr. Harpal S. Grewal
- Coker College – Dr. Graham Wood
- Columbia College – Dr. AnnMarie Cimino Knight
- Columbia International University – Dr. Lynn Hoekstra
- Converse College – Dr. Chandra Owenby Hopkins
- Erskine College – Dr. Catherine White
- Furman University – Professor Maegan M. Azar
- Limestone University – Dr. Alex Richardson
- Morris College – Ms. Priscilla Patten
- Newberry College – Dr. Sara A. Peters
- North Greenville University – Dr. Melissa L. Cruver
- Presbyterian College – Dr. Charles Clinton Harshaw
- Southern Wesleyan University – Dr. Steven Hayduk
- Spartanburg Methodist College – Dr. Litasha Dennis
- Voorhees College – Alicia A. Davis
- Wofford College – Dr. Britton W. Newman
The support from generous sponsors helps make the annual Excellence in Teaching Awards program possible. SCICU gratefully acknowledges the following sponsors for their support of the Excellence in Teaching Awards Program for 2020:
- Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, PA
- M.B. Kahn Builders
- McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture
- TD Bank
- Total Comfort Solutions