Public Policy Issues and Information
SCICU provides a voice for independent higher education in South Carolina at the State House, in Congress, and before agencies, boards, and commissions. Working through the Public Policy Committee and Board of Trustees, SCICU promotes sound fiscal and public policy on matters of critical importance to its member colleges and universities.
Relevant matters include general and special appropriations for student grants and scholarships, legislation related to higher education, postsecondary students, and non-profit organizations, and education-related public policy issues before agencies, boards, and commissions.
2019 Legislative Priorities and Strategic Plan
123rd General Assembly of South Carolina, First Session: January 8 – May 9, 2019
- SCICU Legislative Coordinators Kickoff Meeting – December 7, 2018 — SC independent colleges and universities working to keep tuition affordable
- UPDATE: May 23, 2018 – Higher Education Reauthorization Act, FY 2018 Omnibus Budget, and FY 2019 Omnibus Budget
- UPDATE: December 18, 2017 – Final Tax Reform Bill Recognizes the Importance of Education Benefits
- UPDATE: December 11, 2017 – Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Conference Committee Has an Opportunity to Support Higher Education
- UPDATE: November 21, 2017 – Tax Reform: Senate vs. House vs. Higher Education
- November 21, 2017 Letters from SCICU President & CEO Mike LeFever to Senators Graham and Scott — Issues related to negative effects of Senate’s tax reform on independent higher education in South Carolina.
- UPDATE: November 10, 2017 – Tax Reform Could Increase the Cost of a College Degree
- November 7, 2017 Letter from SCICU President & CEO Mike LeFever to SC Congressional Delegation – Potential negative effects that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (H.R. 1) could have on students who attend SCICU’s member colleges and universities.
- South Carolina Legislature
- Find Your State Legislator
- Find Your U.S. House Member
- Find Your U.S. Senator
- SC Senate Standing Committees
- SC House Standing Committees
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
115th United States Congress, First Session: January 3, 2017 – January 3, 2018