Public Policy Issues and Information
SCICU provides a voice for independent higher education in South Carolina at the State House, in Congress, and before agencies, boards, and commissions. Working through the Public Policy Committee and Board of Trustees, SCICU promotes sound fiscal and public policy on matters of critical importance to its member colleges and universities.
Relevant matters include general and special appropriations for student grants and scholarships, legislation related to higher education, postsecondary students, and non-profit organizations, and education-related public policy issues before agencies, boards, and commissions.
2018 Legislative Priorities and Strategic Plan
- NEW 07-12-2018 — SCICU Legislative Priorities vs. Results for 2018
- SCICU Legislative Strategic Plan 2018
- SCICU Legislative Priorities and Quick Facts 2018
122nd General Assembly of South Carolina, Second Session: January 9 – May 10, 2018
- Legislative Update 07-05-2018: SC FY 2018-19 Budget Increases for Independent Higher Ed Programs Secured
- 2018 SCICU Bills of Interest – Updated as of 07-05-2018 (Click link to access/download the most recent information on SC bills being tracked by SCICU.)
- Legislative Update 05-17-2018: SC Budget Conferees Need More Time to Reconcile Differences
- Legislative Update 05-10-2018: State Budget Negotiations Extended — Impact on Higher Ed Support
- Legislative Update 03-29-2018: SC Senate Adopts Education Opportunity Budget
- Legislative Update 02-23-2018: House Ways and Means — No Additional Funds Available for Need-Based Grants
- Legislative Update 02-05-2018: Ways and Means Committee Continues Work on FY 2018-19 State Budget
- SCICU Prepares for 2018 Legislative Session
115th United States Congress, First Session: January 3, 2017 – January 3, 2018
- UPDATE: May 23, 2018 – Higher Education Reauthorization Act, FY 2018 Omnibus Budget, and FY 2019 Omnibus Budget
- UPDATE: December 18, 2017 – Final Tax Reform Bill Recognizes the Importance of Education Benefits
- UPDATE: December 11, 2017 – Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Conference Committee Has an Opportunity to Support Higher Education
- UPDATE: November 21, 2017 – Tax Reform: Senate vs. House vs. Higher Education
- November 21, 2017 Letters from SCICU President & CEO Mike LeFever to Senators Graham and Scott — Issues related to negative effects of Senate’s tax reform on independent higher education in South Carolina.
- UPDATE: November 10, 2017 – Tax Reform Could Increase the Cost of a College Degree
- November 7, 2017 Letter from SCICU President & CEO Mike LeFever to SC Congressional Delegation – Potential negative effects that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (H.R. 1) could have on students who attend SCICU’s member colleges and universities.
- South Carolina Legislature
- Find Your State Legislator
- Find Your U.S. House Member
- Find Your U.S. Senator
- SC Senate Standing Committees
- SC House Standing Committees
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities