Over the university’s 95-year history, there have been three other fight songs, two of which were written when the university was still Bob Jones College. With the return of intercollegiate sports teams and the introduction of the Bruins mascot in 2012, the fight song is being updated to reflect the current branding.
“BJU has a strong music program. I know there are many talented and creative musicians in the university community,” said Dr. Neal Ring. “We look forward to receiving entries in the contest. We trust the fight song will become a cherished part of our game day traditions.”
There is a $500 prize for the winning selection. Songwriting teams are allowed.
Submissions from students, faculty, staff, or alumni are due August 1, 2022.
The selection committee is comprised of BJU faculty and staff. Submissions will be evaluated based on their adherence to the contest guidelines.
The new song will be debuted during the fall soccer season.
- The musical style should be energetic, upbeat, and march-like.
- Lyrics should include the university name and/or mascot and promote school spirit in an athletic competition environment.
- It should be singable by the average person.
- The song may be a full march with lyrics for the trio, a verse and chorus with lyrics, or an instrumental introduction followed by a chorus with lyrics.
- Submissions should be engraved using music-notation software and include an audio track if possible.
- Instrumental parts should be scored for pep band, including:
- Brass (Trumpets, French Horns, Trombones, Euphoniums, and Tubas)
- Saxophones (Alto, Tenor, and Bari)
- Percussion (Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Cymbals, or full marching percussion)
- Optional or doubled Flute & Clarinet
- Conductor’s Score
- All submitted work must be original and must not include, be based on, or derived from any copyrighted music or lyrics.