Dr. Henry N. Tisdale
400 Magnolia Street
Orangeburg, SC 29115
Phone: (803) 535-5000
Fax: (803) 535-5402
Claflin University, founded in 1869, is a progressive, independent, liberal arts, co-educational, historically Black institution that is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. The university has provided 136 years of loyal service to the Orangeburg community, the state of South Carolina, and the nation in the field of higher education. Claflin University offers 34 undergraduate programs and 3 graduate programs that are intellectually challenging and spiritual. The graduate programs are the MBA, MS in Biotechnology, and M.E.d in Educational Studies in an environment
Claflin was charted and continues to provide educational excellence and to prepare students without regard to gender, race, religion or ethnic origin. It is committed to offering quality undergraduate programs, select graduate programs, and viable continuing education opportunities.
At the undergraduate level, the university ensures that students receive a liberal arts education designed to produce graduates who understand themselves as well as historical and social forces that impact the world. Their academic experiences will include an understanding of religious and aesthetic values in a universal context and a thorough grounding in their chosen discipline. Their education will incorporate the use of technology and exposure to recent scientific developments and inculcate critical thinking and communication skills in order to prepare them for leadership and service in a global and multicultural society.
At the graduate level, students are provided instruction to enhance the analytical and comprehensive research acumen necessary for professional growth and leadership. Continuing education programs create avenues for students to complete educational objectives and develop skills necessary for their professional and personal fulfillment. Under girding the mission is the University’s commitment to excellence in all its endeavors.
The South Carolina Center for Biotechnology within Claflin University aims to successfully prepare all of its students for quality leadership in government, private sector, and high-education, specifically those related to biotechnology industries. Seeking to be varied and interdisciplinary, this innovative program draws its hand-selected faculty and courses from a wide variety of resources and disciplines. Claflin University’s biomedical research center, recognized science departments, and enviable position as geographically near one of the largest pharmaceutical and biotechnological industries in the “Research Triangle Park,” places this program at the center of Biotechnology education in the United States.
African and African American Studies
Sociology/Criminal Justice Administration
Early Childhood Education
Management Information Science
Middle Level Education
Human Performance and Recreation
Philosophy and Religion
Politics and Justice Studies
Claflin offers three dual-degree programs through partnerships with South Carolina State University, Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College and Clemson University. All degrees are housed in the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. They include the following:
- A 2+2 program where students earn an Associate Degree in Biotechnology from Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College and a B.S. in Biotechnology from Claflin.
- A 3+2 program where students earn a B.S. in Mathematics (Applied Mathematics Track) from Claflin and a B.S. in Engineering from Clemson University.
- A 3+2 program where students earn a B.S. in Mathematics (Applied Mathematics Track) from Claflin and a B.S. in Engineering Technology from South Carolina State University.
Upon completion of the first segment of a dual degree program, students enroll on a full-time basis at their chosen partner institution and must seek financial aid from that institution prior to enrollment.
Rankings and Honors
- Ranked the top HBCU in the nation for the second consecutive year in its annual list of “America’s Best Colleges”
- Ranked in the top one-third percent of the nation’s colleges and universities as a “Best College Buy”
U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked One of America’s Best Colleges for 12 consecutive years
- Ranked #1 in the South among 80 schools nationally for its “Strong Commitment to Teaching”
- Ranked #2 in the South among 77 schools nationally as a “Top Up-and-Coming School”
- #12 Among Best Baccalaureate Colleges in the South
- #2 in Annual Alumni Giving (36%) among Top Tier Colleges in the South and #1 among HBCUs
- #8 Nationally Among Best Black Colleges
- #3 Best Value Top Private Colleges and Universities Nationally
Chronicle of Higher Education
- #2 for Retention Rate Very Selective HBCUs
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
- #2 for Graduation Rate
Milliken Medal of Quality Award Recipient
- Dr. Henry N. Tisdale – Claflin University President
CASE (Council for Advancement and Support of Education) District III Chief Executive Leadership Award Recipient