Mr. W. Scott Cochran
Phone: (864) 587-4213
Fax: (864) 587-4355
Spartanburg Methodist College is South Carolina’s only private, residential college exclusively for freshmen and sophomore students and one of only four colleges in South Carolina affiliated with the United Methodist Church. SMC’s mission is to transform lives in a values-oriented, student-centered atmosphere in the Christian tradition that encourages academic excellence, intellectual exploration, social awareness, and character development within the liberal arts tradition.
Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is proud of its heritage of providing “the opportunity to be your best and the inspiration to do great things.”
Our campus features 167 wooded acres in the foothills of South Carolina’s scenic Blue Ridge Mountains. You’ll live, work, study and play under a canopy of historic mossy oaks in a true college town (home to 6 additional colleges, universities, and institutions of higher learning.) We are conveniently located near the region’s most popular attractions…the arts of Asheville, the history of Charleston, the buzz of Charlotte and Atlanta, the sun and sand of Carolina’s beaches, and the snowy slopes of North Carolina are all just an hour to three hours away.
Associate in Arts Degree, Associates in Science Degree, Associate in Business Degree, Associate in Fine Arts Degree, Associate in Religious Studies Degree, Associate in Criminal Justice Degree
- At SMC teaching is a “hands on” tradition – one of the first work-study colleges in America.
- Being exclusively devoted to educating freshmen and sophomores means our students can enjoy the benefits of immediate engagement and leadership opportunities – not competing with juniors and seniors.
- Over half of our faculty hold PhD’s. We do not employ graduate students or teaching assistants.
- Our student/faculty ratio of 19:1 allows professors to know each student personally and every student is assigned a personal faculty member advisor.
- SMC offers one of the most comprehensive mentoring, tutoring and placement programs available.
- Cash in great grades for the learning experience of a lifetime. Your GAP may qualify you for the SMC Scholars Program (a full tuition financial aid package).
- SMC offers 14 million reasons not to let finances get in the way of earning a degree. 96% of our students receive financial aid, with $14 million being awarded each year.
- 7 Residence Halls provide students with a living and learning environment.
- We enjoy a long history of athletic excellence by producing many athletes who have attained professional status in their sport. In fact, more than 100 SMC athletes have made their way to the professional ranks in baseball, golf, softball, and basketball.
- Two years. That’s all it takes to earn your first degree.
- More than 90% of our graduates transfer to four-year institutions to pursue a baccalaureate degree.
- Our university-paralleled curriculum and agreements with 200 of the nation’s best schools help make it easy to continue your 4-year liberal arts major.
- SMC student body is diverse. SMC is one of four colleges in South Carolina affiliated with the United Methodist Church and supports their motto of “open doors, open hearts, and open minds.”